Printed by http://essen.city-map.de/city/db/040303050601/verein-zur-erhaltung-der-hespertalbahn-e-v

Verein zur Erhaltung der Hespertalbahn e. V.

Image Copyright: Hespertalbahn e.V.

  Postfach 15 02 23
45242 Essen
Telephone (0201) 40 85 619
Facsimile   (0201) 40 85 619
info@Hespertalbahn.dehttp://www.hespertalbahn.de/ 

Image Copyright: Hespertalbahn e.V.

The charming route runs along the Baldeney bank since 1867.
It is the rest of the former pit connection train of the closed-down mine Pörtingssiepen. 26 years ago, exactly on the 28th June 1975, the club for the preservation of the Hesper Valley railway (VEH) was founded by 18 railway fans. The club was able to rescue the route from the complete demolition and operates since then the railway traffic with historic carriage and locomotive in slow-train tempo. The club, which has around 100 members, operates today a museum train traffic with historic carriage and locomotive in slow-train tempo. As the train runs at the maximum speed of 15 km/h since the beginning, one can't be surprised that the train needs roughly one hour for the return tour inclusive of all necessary shunting exercises.

Image Copyright: Hespertalbahn e.V.

The beginnings of the Hesper Valley railway go back to the year 1857; it was used as narrow-gauge train with horses for the ore mines in the Velberter area. In 1877 the mine Pörtingssiepen was connected and the routefrom Kupferdrehto the stationHesperbrück at theHammer Straße was re-tracked tostandard gauge. The remaining narrow-gauge part to Hefel was closed-down in 1918. From 1927 to its closure the mine Pörtingssiepen in 1973 a non-public passenger service was organised for the pit workforce.

Image Copyright: Hespertalbahn e.V.

The route starts at the platform of the former railway route to Essen-Werden a today gastronomically used old station (New:"Lukas")of Essen-Kupferdreh. After crossing the Prinz-Friedrich-Straße today's activity centre, the station Zementfabrik is reached, which is the former transfer station of theHesper Valley train to the Staatsbahn. In a tight bend the route leaves the station and runs snuggled up the hillside, along the Baldeney Lake, which was made in the 30s as reservoir of the Ruhr. On the left-hand sidein travel direction a hardly visible, derelict, narrow coal seam emerges at the rocky slope. After crossing one of the tributary valley the train leaves the lake and runs along a raised pit heap made of 'gangue' from the minePörtingssiepen to the passing place to turn the locomotive. Beyond the stop "Haus Scheppen" the route is only accessible for hikers. The former mine area is only recongised by people who know the place. On the way back, the locomotive is turned again at the station Zementfabrik.http://www.hespertalbahn.de/